Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shrimp tank and Sand

3 posters

Go down

Shrimp tank and Sand Empty Shrimp tank and Sand

Post  DavidZ Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:50 pm

This may be a well known thing, but I just read about it today. Instead of using stuff like play sand from the hardware store, or expensive sand designed for aquariums you can use swimming pool filter sand. People swear by it I guess.

I stopped and got some from Etchesons (sp?) on the way home and it was like $13 for 50lbs. Seems to be ok so I'll see. I used it in the 40-breeder that I've got set up for plants and Red Cherry Shrimp.

I've attached a video (bad as always) showing the plants in the sand and pre-existing gravel, along with a crapton of Shrimp. They seem to like the tank as the population is exploding.

Here's the link

DZ
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

https://citac.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Shrimp tank and Sand Empty I think I'm seasick now...

Post  Katnapper Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:25 am

I like the looks of the tank (when it's standing still) and the shrimp. Very Happy And I'm going to have to research the cherry shrimp as I think I'm going to take you up on the offer of some of those. I'm wondering if I should wait until I get my 5 gallon ready? Or just add some to the 55 or 75?

Question... How do you go about cleaning the bottom of a tank if it's sand and gravel? Just very carefully with the siphon so as not to suck up sand? And you can't put sand in an aquarium with an undergravel filter, right? I've been intrigued with the sand substrate, but didn't think I could do one... but my 5 gallon doesn't have an undergravel filter, so I'm thinking I might give that a try.

Who wants to go in and get David some videography lessons for Christmas? Razz
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

Shrimp tank and Sand Empty Filter possibilities

Post  pops48 Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:47 am

You could try a sponge filter if you have one. Be sure to rinse it out every day until the water clears? Good luck.

pops48

Back to top Go down

Shrimp tank and Sand Empty Re: Shrimp tank and Sand

Post  DavidZ Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:15 pm

I've just used the gravel cleaners but cut the flow down a bit. Works well.

DZ
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

https://citac.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Shrimp tank and Sand Empty Re: Shrimp tank and Sand

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down