Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

blonde guppies trackdown project

2 posters

Go down

blonde guppies trackdown project   Empty blonde guppies trackdown project

Post  egbar guppies Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:04 pm

I am thinking of starting a strain of blonde guppies (not red blonde) and would like to find some good stock. In your travels to guppy breeder
fish rooms, shows and auctions, if you run across anybody who runs a line or 2 of them, would you let me know? plain blondes are not very popular as show fish but good to cross to make some interesting AOC fish and I think some of the breeders who show heavily must run a line or several of these
in their fish rooms to make some of the colorful crosses possible. Got my antennae out to scout a couple of blonde lines and bring them to my new improved fish room. thanks for keeping your eyes open. oh, as a PS : I'd rather avoid lines which have the geissen/ long fin trait.

egbar guppies

Back to top Go down

blonde guppies trackdown project   Empty Re: blonde guppies trackdown project

Post  jikin junkie Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:57 pm

I have vienna blonds but they are not delta tails but lower swords. They are very pale with a few spots of color. I don't know if that is what you are looking for?
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

blonde guppies trackdown project   Empty blondes

Post  egbar guppies Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:43 pm

yes, that pale yellowish color but with delta tails. sometimes they have light blue or red edged tails depending on their genetics, but the most useful are the blondes with no body spots and which have clear tails. I know they exist but they are not generally sold on breeder websites or aquabid and the like because so few people buy them. not interesting to look at, too plain. they are very useful for breeding aoc show guppies however. Bronze guppies are another color strain used in this way, to affect certain color changes in a strain. Both can attain very large size, also desirable for outcross use.

egbar guppies

Back to top Go down

blonde guppies trackdown project   Empty hmmm

Post  jikin junkie Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:00 pm

Could an albino type of some kind work? If it were the same as the line you were working with such as albino snakeskin etc? I don't think I've ever seen blondes like that offered for sale. The Missouri guppy show is coming up, they will have an auction at the end. That might be your best bet to find them. I'm not certain I'll be able to go but I think Mark is planning on it. I'll keep my eyes open as I often lurk on aquabid and ebay. Very Happy
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

blonde guppies trackdown project   Empty albino

Post  egbar guppies Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:13 am

I don't think I'll get the same effect with albinos as I would using blondes, and the red eyes give me the creeps ! albinos seem to age too fast, sometimes have fertility problems... There is a very interesting red eye albino red snake line available from time to time on aquabid. I may eventually have to set up a separate tank, but those are not what I am after for genetic results at the moment.
Blondes are almost never offered on the internet sales, certainly never from private breeders who show. Having access to somebody's fish room, one might spot a couple of tanks of them though. I will need to talk to individual breeders and see if I can get them to save some to sell to me instead of discarding them. In some strains a certain percentage of blondes are to be expected.
I will probably still be in IL
in time for the Gateway show, but don't know what my schedule will be like, depending on the sale (or not) of the house, so that will have to be
a last minute thing. I'll try to go if I can, I agree that would be my best bet for now. thanks!

egbar guppies

Back to top Go down

blonde guppies trackdown project   Empty Re: blonde guppies trackdown project

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down