Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTB things for my tank

3 posters

Go down

WTB things for my tank Empty WTB things for my tank

Post  Mocki Sun May 06, 2012 12:13 pm

A piece of drift wood ...doesn't need to be really big.

A heater ....strong enough for a 55 gallon

Another filter ...I have one that the tank came with but not sure if it's large enough to run the whole tank?

Live plants.... looking for a few
Mocki
Mocki

Back to top Go down

WTB things for my tank Empty Re: WTB things for my tank

Post  adowns99 Sun May 06, 2012 1:25 pm

i would wait a bit on the live plants until your tank is well established otherwise you wont be very happy with them
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

WTB things for my tank Empty thanks

Post  Mocki Sun May 06, 2012 2:51 pm

ok thanks for the advice. Can you tell me why ? Is it because they don't do well in a new tank?
Mocki
Mocki

Back to top Go down

Post  adowns99 Sun May 06, 2012 4:16 pm

im no plant expert by any means, but i know they dont thrive in water that lacks minerals and nutrients. a lot of that is provided by the waiste from the fish. so for 1 you will want some of that to build up in the gravel. i would get ahold of laura on here. she does much better with the plants than i do.
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

Post  jikin junkie Mon May 07, 2012 10:31 pm

If we have a meeting this month, I will bring some plants and also starts of pond plants. General rule for aquatic plants, 2 watts per gallon will grow anubias, swords, java moss, and java ferns. The more light you have, the more variety you can grow. The plants sold at Petco in the containers are grown out of water so they only have their emergent leaves. Not a good choice for beginners. They will only rot and die, some will regrow aquatic leaves but the wait is long. Also keep in mind there are quite a number of fish that are not plant friendly. African and South American Cichlids will eat most plants, goldfish also. Most tetras, barbs, angelfish, and dwarf cichlids will not bother plants. Light is the most important key to growing plants.
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down