Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flat stackable rock for aquarium

4 posters

Go down

Flat stackable rock for aquarium Empty Flat stackable rock for aquarium

Post  kellum Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:01 am

Hi: I'm new to central Illinois. I've recently newly set up a 30 gallon, 40 and 75. I'd like to find flat rocks that I could stack to create hiding places for my fish. In my old home in California, I went to a rockery, but haven't found such a place here.

TIA

kellum

Back to top Go down

Flat stackable rock for aquarium Empty Re: Flat stackable rock for aquarium

Post  Siebiscuit Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:31 am

I went to Menards (Similar to Lowes, Home Depot) and picked up some flagstone. I know there are likely much cheaper options out there so I recommend checking with some of the larger landscaping companies in the area and you may even be able to get it delivered.

Siebiscuit

Back to top Go down

Flat stackable rock for aquarium Empty McLean County Asphalt & Landscape Materials

Post  Katnapper Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:30 pm

Welcome!  Good to see you here, Kenneth. Very Happy  You might try here:  McLean County Asphalt & Landscape Materials
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

Flat stackable rock for aquarium Empty The search continues

Post  kellum Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:54 pm

Today I first went to the Growing Grounds. No luck.

Then McLean County Asphalt. There I bought a couple buckets of rock. I may go back and get more. Only problem is, I couldn't find any larger rocks suitable for the back of the tank.

Then, I tried Bella's Landscaping. They didn't have anything, but suggested I try a business located at Hovey and White Oak. The man at Bella's said "You can see they have a lot of landscaping rock, but there's never anybody there".

Sure enough, I found the business. The gate was open, and no one was there. They've got some rock I could use. There was a phone number on the office door. I called, and of course got no answer.

Strange.

kellum

Back to top Go down

Post  Katnapper Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:21 pm

Hmm... hopefully they will eventually answer if you keep calling. Or perhaps leave a short note describing what you want along with your phone number on the business door? You'd think someone would be there, or you could at least in some way contact someone. That IS strange. Good luck.
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

Flat stackable rock for aquarium Empty Maybe

Post  kellum Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:47 pm

If they don't call me back, perhaps I'll go, pick out what I think is $10 worth of rock and leave a note with $10. I didn't notice today if it's possible to slide an envelope under the office door.

kellum

Back to top Go down

Flat stackable rock for aquarium Empty Rock

Post  jikin junkie Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:49 pm

I drive past that place everyday and never see anyone there. They really do have some nice landscaping stuff. Good luck with it. Maybe they have an online website?
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Flat stackable rock for aquarium Empty Dunno

Post  kellum Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:57 pm

I didn't even see a sign there giving a name for the business. If you see one, please tell me.

kellum

Back to top Go down

Post  Katnapper Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:24 pm

Kenneth, I did some sleuthing online and I think the place is called Green View Nursery Inc.  Who knows what the hours are, as on one page I found some hours listed (see below), and on another "By Appointment Only."

Here is some info I found:  (There are also several clickable links below that direct to website pages where I found the info)

Green View Nursery Inc
1813 Industrial Park Dr
Normal, IL 61761-4319
(309) 452-9402

Green View Garden Center
BLOOMINGTON / NORMAL
1813 Industrial Park Road
Normal, IL 61761
Fax: 309.452.9992
Phone: 309.452.9402
By Appointment Only

Green View Landscaping  
Landscaper · 3.8 mi
Address: 1813 Industrial Park Dr, Normal, IL 61761
Phone:(309) 452-9402
Hours:
Monday 9AM–3PM
Tuesday 9AM–3PM
Wednesday 9AM–3PM
Thursday 9AM–3PM
Friday 9AM–3PM
Saturday 9AM–3PM
Sunday Closed

Green View Landscaping

Green View Landscaping Co

And I found one page where the business apparently had a fire in 2014.  Maybe the office sustained fire damage and they've never really fixed it or reopened?  I don't know.  Three-Alarm Blaze Destroys Local Landscaping Company

Here is also a page of landscaping companies in the area:  Nurseries and garden centers

Last edited by Katnapper on Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added info)
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

Flat stackable rock for aquarium Empty Different places

Post  kellum Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:07 am

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I did stop in Green View yesterday. The mystery landscaping company is a mile or so northwest of there on White Oak, at Hovey.

Also, the reason I'm looking for rock is that I found a 150-gallon tank on Craigslist.

kellum

Back to top Go down

Post  Katnapper Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:19 pm

Ahh.... I see. Well, I guess it's still a mystery.
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down