Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New guppy strains

3 posters

Go down

New guppy strains Empty New guppy strains

Post  jikin junkie Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:08 pm

I purchased a new strain of guppies, called "super platinum". Unlike the albino platinums that are out there, these have a more wild look to them with short tails, grey bodies, and an iridescent look. Unusual for sure. I also joined the IFGA so hopefully I can learn to properly maintain a strain of guppy. Guppies always end up being a challenge for me. My red blue bicolors are fizzling out and I'm having fertility problems with the females, probably due to improper culling/breeding. Winter time I can focus more in the fish room and get some breeding projects going. -G
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

New guppy strains Empty Re: New guppy strains

Post  Katnapper Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:22 pm

Sounds interesting, Gina. If we have a future meeting at your house maybe you can show me/us these and talk a little bit about the breeding strains and phenotypes. Genetics and breeding is very interesting to me; but I'm not planning on getting into the breeding aspect of fish myself anytime soon, if ever. So I'll live vicariously through you all...  Smile 
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

New guppy strains Empty genetics

Post  jikin junkie Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:25 am

While I can talk confidently on Betta and Angelfish genetics...guppies are a whole other matter. I recently joined the International Fancy Guppy Assoc. just to get some insider tips on outcrossing....well...I'm still reading. I have to step away from it before I get overwhelmed. When I read about how many tanks it takes just to maintain one strain Shocked  I'd be happy to host another meeting. I can most certainly point out my failures if nothing else! Laughing 
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

New guppy strains Empty Future meeting ideas

Post  Katnapper Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:29 am

I'd be happy with one genus per meeting!  Very Happy Hint hint  Wink 
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

New guppy strains Empty New strain found at sailfin

Post  jikin junkie Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:20 pm

I stopped by sailfin in Champaign yesterday after the auction and I found an unusual strain of guppy I had never seen before. In fact I thought they were platies till I took a closer look. They had some generic name called "German pink tuxedo...somethin or other" and all I could see was males. There were two females in the tank but they looked unrelated, I bought them anyway. So the front half is shiny pink, the back half looks all black but the fins have an orange edge to them. Very striking. We'll see if they breed true. Looks like they probably came from an Asian fish farm. Out in the summer tubs they go! Razz 
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

New guppy strains Empty Pics?

Post  Katnapper Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:49 pm

Cool... maybe you can show us if you get some pics.   Wink  I hope the females are of that strain and you can get them to breed.
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:55 pm

Most of the times up in Chicago they have several guppies that are rather unique, and you are correct that there are only males.

I've seen the pink ones up there before.

What ever females were in that tank are probably unrelated.

DZ
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

https://citac.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

New guppy strains Empty Females?

Post  Katnapper Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:29 pm

So where do they/you get the females? Do the breeders hoard them so no one else can breed them?
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:37 pm

That would be my guess Bec. I was told females dont sell as well so they only sell males, but I'd guess they dont want people breeding them.

DZ
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

https://citac.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down