Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

microworms

3 posters

Go down

microworms Empty microworms

Post  adowns99 Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:59 pm

is anyone still raising microworms? im in need of a start if at all possible?
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

microworms Empty Re: microworms

Post  DavidZ Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:51 pm

I've got bunches.

I can bring some to Katie if you want.
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

https://citac.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  adowns99 Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:14 pm

that would be most appreciated sir. tell me again what you use for media? oatmeal right with yeast and sugar?
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:29 pm

I'll get to Katie one of the containers I use. I fill this with about 3/4 - 1" of oatmeal and about a tablespoon each of sugar and yeast. I just make sure the yeast and sugar are wet and barely mixed around on the very top and put the worms in. Put in enough water to make little pools, but not too much standing watre. Week or two later they are crawling up the sides.

To makle more, just make the mix in a new container and add some worms from the stinky one to the new one. I put about (5) 1 inch square scraping from the old container into the new one to seed it. I try and scrape the very tippy top of the stinky one to just get the worms and as little of the old oatmeal as possible.

I keep three going at all times, each one about a week older than the other. I cut a hole in the top and put in a sponge to keep flys out but get them air. The yeast produce CO2, so if air can't get in the worms will suffocate.

These containers can be bought at walmart for about $3 for 3 of them.

I'll try and remember tomorrow.

DZ
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  adowns99 Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:01 pm

thank you kindly.

will the guppys like the microworms?
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

microworms Empty microworms and guppies

Post  pops48 Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:48 pm

I've always had great luck with microworms and guppies. The adults do a bit better on newly hatched brine but still gobble up microworms too. The benefit of microworms is that they can stay alive for several hours while brine shrimp die fairly quickly. Since I don't pull new born guppies out until they're about 1/2 inch, the adults get plenty of microworms along with the young. I've also found that if I haven't been taking as good of care as I'd like for a while and the fish are not as peppy, microworms help them get going again.

pops48

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:13 am

I've not had the success with adult guppies that Pops has had because the worms are very small, but they have been key to me raising baby Corry's. Baby guppies do great on them.

BBS start losing their nutritional value almost immediately after they hatch, and are not much value in as little as 6 hours after hatching. I have very few losses anymore with the corry's on Microworms vs 30-40% with BBS.

I find feeding the babies the microworms, and then the adults live blackworms supplemented with flake, gives me the best results with all my fish.
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  adowns99 Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:33 pm

thank you kindly for the culture david. they came in handy immediately as my brine shrimp bottle didn't hatch yesterday, so the worms saved the day on some important angel fry I have going.
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Glad I could help. If you keep the 3 containers going and change 1 a week they will keep going forever.

I've had this same start going for over a year and a half.

I think you'll have les losses with the owrms as well.

Good luck with them.
DZ
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  adowns99 Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:47 pm

I went a step further and sprinkled some spirulina powder on top of my media. and the worms eat it before I feed the fry. gut loaded microworms
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down