Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

outdoor tubbin!

4 posters

Go down

outdoor tubbin! Empty outdoor tubbin!

Post  jikin junkie Sat May 04, 2013 3:02 pm

It's time to get your outdoor tubs started! I always put the goldfish and rosy barbs out about now, they can handle nighttime temps of 50 degrees. I also throw out my water lettuce and duckweed. It's also a good time to age the water in the tubs for the warmer tropicals like swordtails and guppies. I don't put those out till the end of May. I'll bring some water lettuce starts to this months meeting. sunny
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

outdoor tubbin! Empty goldfish

Post  jikin junkie Fri May 10, 2013 10:14 pm

Just put them out for the summer but the temps dropped again. I'm sure they will be fine but maybe not the plants. No outdoor tubbin! 00410
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

outdoor tubbin! Empty Re: outdoor tubbin!

Post  randywoowoo Tue May 13, 2014 11:37 pm

With the upcoming lower overnight temps, are my outdoor fish in danger? I've got swords and platys in a 40g stock tank. I was running a heater and just added a 2nd. I think they were 40w ea. I guess I just want to know how low the water temps can get before the fish are in danger.
Thanks

randywoowoo

Back to top Go down

outdoor tubbin! Empty Temps

Post  jikin junkie Wed May 14, 2014 7:21 am

This year has been cold for too long! If you have heaters, I'd say you are okay. Platies, Mollies, and swordtails originated from Central America and they can take a little cooler for short periods of time. I left my fish out and the plants are fine but I moved my tiny tiny goldfish fry back inside. It will warm up next week again.
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Katnapper Mon May 19, 2014 12:43 pm

Well, my outdoor tubbin' isn't going as I'd planned. I had my 5 gallon tank outside with my new betta and Endlers in it for just a few hours in the afternoon after the last meeting. It got cold and I was worried, so I brought the tank in and set it on my kitchen counter because I didn't really have any place else to put it. Since then, I've been enjoying it so much there... that now I don't want to put it outside! I guess that solves my dilemma on where to put this 5 gallon tank. So even though my outdoor plan isn't going anywhere just yet, I'm glad it's gone the way it has. It gave me the push to get that tank up and running... and I happened on a place to put it, by accident, that I really like.  Wink 
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

Post  twocat Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:32 pm

I brought my swords in last night. When should I bring my goldfish in?

Mark

twocat

Back to top Go down

Post  randywoowoo Sat May 02, 2015 12:53 pm

Put some guppies, platy's, and swords in my 40gal stock tank today. I planted lilies last week and they've already started to take off. The forecast looks good. My tank had tons of mosquito larvae swimming around so there will be no shortage of food. I sure do enjoy a stock tank.

randywoowoo

Back to top Go down

outdoor tubbin! Empty Just planted lotus

Post  jikin junkie Sat May 02, 2015 10:14 pm

Planted some lotus and a water lily. Maybe I'll add my fish soon. I'm a little behind this year.
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Post  twocat Sun May 03, 2015 7:27 am

I put my goldfish in last night along with some lillys.

Mark

twocat

Back to top Go down

Post  twocat Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:48 pm

I put some RED TAIL GOODEID in a 55 gallon tank, outside with no air. There seems to be some fry with several more RED TAIL GOODEID that are looking fat. These are young fish so I am not sure how many fry they will have.

I also have another 55 with some yong tiger platies I hope that they will be able to reproduce in another month.

I am off Monday so I may pull another tank from the garage and take it outside and put something in it.

Mark

twocat

Back to top Go down

Post  twocat Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:12 pm

Am I pushing it?  I put some guppies in a 20 gallon out door tank today?

Mark

twocat

Back to top Go down

outdoor tubbin! Empty tropicals

Post  jikin junkie Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:26 pm

You might have to keep an eye on temps, usually the safe time is after Mother's day.
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down