Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PH control

3 posters

Go down

PH control  Empty PH control

Post  RainingReason112358 Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:30 pm

Does anyone here use PH up or down? Do you try to control your PH or just let it be:?:
RainingReason112358
RainingReason112358

Back to top Go down

PH control  Empty Re: PH control

Post  nemoose Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:23 am

I do adjust ph for african cichlids. Luckily bloomington had hard water so I dont heen to do much, but I use cichlid salts to get i to about 8.4. I also use aragonite sunstrate and some shells to help buffer and keep the ph stable.
nemoose
nemoose

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldman Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:21 am

I never adjust the pH of my tank water. At one time I did use pH down products and even bought a small bottle of phosphoric acid to reduce the pH in my tank. In the end I had to admit that pH is not something that I should change with additives. Instead I read the literature with the simple thought that anyone advocating a pH reduction is really saying that the particular fish in question require less minerals in their water. By using that interpretation, I have come to the realization that a mix of RO water and tap water can give me an approximation of the mineral content of native fish waters. As a result, I have found it not only possible but very rewarding to set up mixes of tap and RO water to match particular fish's needs. Most of what I keep are livebearers, which prefer hard water, but even my pygmy cories thrive in a tank of mixed RO and tap water. The pH never seems to drop when I mix these waters, but the cories don't know the difference since the mix moves the water close to their natural water needs in terms of TDS, total dissolved solids.

Oldman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down