Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

getting started

3 posters

Go down

getting started Empty getting started

Post  twocat Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:04 am

How difficult and costly is it to get into salt water? Any suggestions of where to start?

twocat

Back to top Go down

getting started Empty Re: getting started

Post  ftrjeff Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Fish only is not too bad, if you want live reef it gets a bit pricey with lighting ect. i had turned one of my tanks into a fish only for about a year or so. If you are experienced in keeping freshwater, saltwater is not some insane undertaking...few more variables and pieces of equipment and the fish cost more, but not too bad. If you decide to take the plunge, I may have some leftover gear available...I know I have a bucket of salt and some crushed coral and possibly a cheap protien skimmer laying around somewhere.

ftrjeff

Back to top Go down

getting started Empty getting salt going.

Post  jikin junkie Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:49 pm

Here's how you start, 29 gallon, crushed coral substrate, couple pieces of liverock. Big bucket of marine salt (most economical) and a salinity meter. A damsel. Device of your choice for water flow. Now practice on getting your salinity right and establish a routine to check it often. the fish part is the easy part. I would not invest any further until you decide you have the time and money for one of those really lovely reef tanks. I love my reef tank but sometimes I get bored and annoyed with the cost of constantly purchasing salt and gadgets and pretty little coral starts that take forever to grow (like waiting for water to boil) and che cking my water parameters. And I think I should just take it all down at random times.
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

getting started Empty Re: getting started

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down