Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fast growing and slow growig varieties of guppies

2 posters

Go down

Fast growing and slow growig varieties of guppies Empty Fast growing and slow growig varieties of guppies

Post  jikin junkie Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:19 pm

So does anyone know which varieties of guppies grow the fastest/slowest. I have some snakeskin? gupps from the last meeting, man they seem to be taking forever to grow out. My betta fry are growing faster, showing color already. Just wondered how everyone else is doing with their guppys.
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Fast growing and slow growig varieties of guppies Empty slow growers

Post  egbar guppies Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:50 am

yes, snakes are among the slowest growing guppies, they need to be at least nine months and sometimes a year old before you see their adult patterns. If you discard fish at 6 months because of incomplete patterns, you may lose some great fish... ask me how i know, LOL
some platinums are also know to be slower growing. i don't have much experience with other strains so can't say if there may be others. I have some of my f1 (snake/bluegreen cross done to improve size) fish from fry dropped just before last months meeting that are starting to show signs of color.. many appear to have the metal front half that is passed on from their moscow moms. Many of the guppies i brought to the meeting will show this because the fry were included in the jars. There may also be some pure bluegreen moscows because one of the females, a blonde green was pre hit. Those will be high quality stock, and you could start your own blue green strain by breeding sister to brother. it is interesting in different lines how the colors change. males usually start to show color by around 4 months old, some show a bit of yellow before that and some black in fins...as their hormones come in they can develop color and pattern seemingly overnight.
very interesting to watch the changes. length of tail and dorsal are always last to come in as well as body length.. spine grows the longest period of time and finishes last. fins will grow for the life of the fish, that is why the fully mature adults, even females have the longest fins. ragged shaped tails will sometimes smooth or even out, with the center growing and filling out after the upper and lower edges. good attachment and shape of dorsal will be noticed early on, so if you find poor attachment or location, or even general shape (scarf type dorsal if you are looking for the rounded half thumb dorsal type for example) you will be safe in culling that fish. are yours showing colors? would love to see photos..

egbar guppies

Back to top Go down

Fast growing and slow growig varieties of guppies Empty guppies and more guppies

Post  jikin junkie Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:44 pm

I went overboard on guppy buying to see which strains I wanted to work with. Wait till you see what I picked up at the swap meet, has to be my most favorite type so far, neon wizard double swordtails and they are huge! I think I've narrowed it down to 2 or three strains and the rest I'll sell off. So far I have panda moscow, snakeskin, vienna blonde sword tail, red bi-color also known as jap. firefin, green metalic cobras, red doubleswords, macariffs, and neon wizard double swords.
I am keeping the vienna blond swordtails, the jap. firefin, and the neon wizard double swords.
The rest are very nice but just don't impress me like the others. I'm in the process of setting up my breeder tanks. I finally broke down and bought a huge air pump that should power most of my fish room. cheers
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Fast growing and slow growig varieties of guppies Empty Re: Fast growing and slow growig varieties of guppies

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down