Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FREE: Mollies, platies, guppies and some live cultures starters

4 posters

Go down

FREE: Mollies, platies, guppies and some live cultures starters Empty FREE: Mollies, platies, guppies and some live cultures starters

Post  DavidZ Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:08 am

Have bunches of the livebearers and some microworm and whiteworm cultures to give away.

If you use them and feeders, the livebearers I mean, I don't want to know about it.... :-)

DavidZ
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

https://citac.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

FREE: Mollies, platies, guppies and some live cultures starters Empty Re: FREE: Mollies, platies, guppies and some live cultures starters

Post  steve a Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:17 pm

I would be happy to take a few of each i have a fifty five gallon tank I am starting back up. Steve A

steve a

Back to top Go down

FREE: Mollies, platies, guppies and some live cultures starters Empty Re: FREE: Mollies, platies, guppies and some live cultures starters

Post  DavidZ Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Steve - Are you coming to the meeting tomorrow? If not, let me know when you want to come by and pick up what you want.

DavidZ
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  steve a Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:57 pm

Sorry Dave for not getting back sooner life got in the way.. I get off work usually at 3:30 so I would guess I can pick up fish any time after that.

steve a

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:06 pm

We're going tout to dinner with friends tomorrow after work but should be home by 8 or so if you want to come that late. Next available night will be thursday probably.

You can call me at 287-7398 or email me at david@davidzink.com.

DZ
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  adowns99 Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:41 am

have you got enough microworm culture to split me off a starter still david? i lost a huge, and i mean huge vermillion koi spawn this week due to an issue with my bbs not hatching. im not sure what went wrong yet on the bbs, thats an investigation in progress. but this wont happen again if i have some microworms in the house.
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Adam,

I got stuck in Wisconsin for work and wont be at the meeting today. I can bring some to Katie tomorrow if you want.

DZ
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  adowns99 Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:47 pm

that would be awesome if you have enough. i didnt get to go to the meeting either myself. i was mounting a deer head all day lol. hows your angel fry doing btw?
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:03 pm

They fry are doing great. Very orange and a little over quarter size. Want some? Getting rid of them soon.

I'm not going to have time to get them together tonight, but I'll do tomorrow and bring to Katie on Tuesday.

DZ
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  adowns99 Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:28 pm

why are you getting rid of them? if there is any veils id love some of those especially. ive been on the look for some nice veil koi stock.
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:06 am

Angles really are not my thing. Mark gave me the spawning pair and it was fun to take them through the process, but I need the tank space for other things. Not sure if the are veils or not. I can shoot yo ua picture of them tonight.

Going to try and spawn some Bettas and/or Pearl Gouramis. I've done them both before, but going to try again.
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  adowns99 Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:13 pm

right on. keepin it fresh and new is always fun
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:03 am

Adam,

I'll get the microworms to Katie at lunch.

I keep them in a gladware type thing that's about 6" square and 7-8" tall. I think the tall shape helps. I add about 1" of oatmeal in the bottom and get it so that it's very wet, but not a ton of water on top. Add about 1 TBs of sugar and about 1/2 TBs of yeast and the just lightly mix them in the top layer of the oatmeal. Add the worms and wait about 2 days and they will be all over the sides. They should be kept in a warm dark place. I have a round hole cut in the top with a sponge in it to allow ventialtion but prevent further contamination.

This starter probably has fruit flys in it, but I consider them a bonus as long at you keep them under control. The little fruit fly lavre will crawl up the sides and I just pick them off and use them too. Angels love them. So do the corries and the tetras. You can also see them in the oatmeal so I get those too.

To use the worms I just use my finger and wipe them off the sides of the container, this is where the tall sides help. Then just dip your finger into the tanks. I keep my babies in the little plastic things that LFS's hang on the side of tanks to dip fish into so they are easily fed. Hanging them on the inside of the tank keeps them warm. I have vents melted into them with screening also melted into them to provide circulation. Don't have to mess with so many water changes. Works great.

My suggestion is that once this one gets going to start another so that you always have two going. To make another one just set up the same mixture in another container and scrape off the top 1/4" or so from about 1/3 of your good one and put in the other. Next day they both should be full.

In about a week or two you'll want to do that to each one and restart them as they will begin to smell nasty and stop producing. I have two going and restart them every other week.

Let me kow if you have any questions.

DZ

Last edited by DavidZ on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  adowns99 Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:41 pm

thanks so much for the help david. it is grately appreciated
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:00 pm

No problem, Katie should have them.
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:33 am

Adam,

Any interest in the Koi angels I have? You can have about a dozen of then and they are esily quarter size. Good orange color. I can send you a picture of them if you want.
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  adowns99 Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:19 pm

Oh yes david I would love to have some of those. Its always nice to work in some new blood here and there also. Just let me know what you want to do on them. Thanks again for the micro worms. They have taken off nicely so far for me.
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Mine do better with a table spoon of sugar and 1/2 tablespoon of yeast. The worms eat the yeast and the yeast eat the sugar, so it seems the more the merrier.

Let me know when you want to pick them up. They didnt cost me anything so you can just have them
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

FREE: Mollies, platies, guppies and some live cultures starters Empty david, about those guppies..........

Post  egbar guppies Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:50 pm

do you keep certain strains? If so i'd like to hear more about the strains of guppies you have available, thanks!

egbar guppies

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:00 pm

The ones I was giving away were just pet store fancy guppies.

I just got some show quality guppies last weekend and will be raising some of those. I got some half black reds and pastels and some others.

DZ
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

FREE: Mollies, platies, guppies and some live cultures starters Empty guppies strains

Post  egbar guppies Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:25 pm

thanks for the input, i am pretty locked into the current strains i am breeding but always interested in new stock for possible improvements just thought i'd ask.
i'm looking forward to the upcoming meeting, it will be nice to put faces to the names on the forum.

egbar guppies

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down