Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Algae is making me crazy

2 posters

Go down

Algae is making me crazy Empty Algae is making me crazy

Post  AprilRN10 Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:12 am

Hey, everyone!

I have algae like crazy and I'm so sick of it and don't know how to get rid of it. I've done bleach dips and then lost plants. Who can help me out?

I have the green algae on the leaves of my anubias and bucephelandra. I also have amazon swords (sickly now) and giant hair grass (starting to have some brownish type). All of my other plants have died and I had a lot. My substrate seems to have brown algae and the hardscape and driftwood grow red hair algae on them.

It's a 55 gallon tank. I'm using a plant LED for 6 (when I was heavily planted, it was about 10 hours a day) hours a day. I dose flourish weekly and API Co2 booster daily. I do weekly water changes with a gravel vac and I also test water parameters. Nitrates run about 20 and ammonia and nitrite are zero.

Recently, I raised my lights up about 3 inches from where they were in the hopes that it would help. I spot-killed some (red type) with the co2 booster in a syringe.

It seems that when I changed from API leaf zone to the flourish ( in november or december) is when this started and now it won't go away.

Suggestions?

I have 9 neons, 10 corys, 4 glass cats, 4 cherry shrimp, and 2 amano shrimp as well.

Last edited by AprilRN10 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : couple typos)

AprilRN10

Back to top Go down

Algae is making me crazy Empty Re: Algae is making me crazy

Post  Katnapper Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:00 am

I'm sorry, I wish I could give you some great advice... but I have none. I've had algae problems before also (green hair algae, and brown diatoms all over everything another time), but not sure what it really was that helped when it got bad.

When the brown diatoms took over everything it went on for months and months. I didn't think I'd ever get rid of it, nothing seemed to work. I happened to go out of town for a period of time (can't remember how many days I was gone, but not more than a week). But when I returned, it was like a burglar had come into my house and stolen the brown algae out of my tank, every single bit of it, and nothing else. It was amazing... it had just disappeared! I wonder now if perhaps the absence of feeding during that time starved it? I don't know.

And I don't remember how the hair algae problem resolved itself. I just know it eventually did, with ongoing removal and scrubbing of attached surfaces it was on.

I wouldn't have even posted this, but just wanted you to know you're not alone. And want to wish you good luck in resolving it.
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down