Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanted to Borrow (and/or possibly Buy, if selling & appropriate) - ~150/200 watt Heater until Friday?

2 posters

Go down

Wanted to Borrow (and/or possibly Buy, if selling & appropriate) - ~150/200 watt Heater until Friday? Empty Wanted to Borrow (and/or possibly Buy, if selling & appropriate) - ~150/200 watt Heater until Friday?

Post  Katnapper Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:16 am

Egads... I stuck my hand in my 55 gallon a little while ago and was shocked to find the water was very WARM.  When I checked, it said 91°F!!!  affraid   I pulled it out to look at the adjustment knob and tried turning it way down.  But when I went to stick it back in the water it hissed and sizzled, and steam was coming off of it... then I heard a cracking sound.  Thankfully I got it up and out from over the top of the tank before the glass broke apart in 2 pieces.  

I just ordered 2 - 150 watt Aqueon Pro heaters online for replacements.  With Amazon Prime they are scheduled to be delivered Thursday 3/5/2015.  I only have (ummm... had) one heater for each of my tanks  Neutral  But now I'm going to go with 2 heaters each in the 55 and the 75.  I'll worry about getting the second heater for the 75 after I get the situation with my 55 under control, I guess.  

I don't have any extras except a mini one for a 2-5 gallon, and I know that's not going to cut it until my replacements come.  Does anyone have a heater they could spare to loan until Friday?  Anywhere in the 150 - 200 watt range, or lower or higher... I'm not picky right now.  I just don't want to have to buy one at Petco just for a temporary.  But actually, now that I think about it, I will be needing another one anyway to put in the 75 gal. so I'm open to sale offers of any that might work for that purpose also.  Prefer to buy Aqueon Pro; don't care what brand/type one to borrow might be.  If you can possibly help, can you please let me know?  

PS... How long do you think a 55 gal. tank of angelfish, guppies, and snails go unheated (after it comes down to desired temp)?  It's in my living room that stays about 68-70, but it's right in front of 2 big windows, so that might make it a bit chillier right there.  I think - in addition to sticking the little extra mini heater in there - I'm going to get out my heating pad, turn it on high, and lean it up against the glass.  Good idea or not?  The only other thing I can think of is dipping out pitchers of aquarium water every few hours, microwaving it, and pouring them back in.  But that doesn't sound like the most brilliant or practical idea....   Rolling Eyes

Thanks,
Becky
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

Wanted to Borrow (and/or possibly Buy, if selling & appropriate) - ~150/200 watt Heater until Friday? Empty Re: Wanted to Borrow (and/or possibly Buy, if selling & appropriate) - ~150/200 watt Heater until Friday?

Post  twocat Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:56 am

I have a extra you can borrow, if you want to swing by and pick it up. I can leave it next to my nail box. Let me know.

Mark

twocat

Back to top Go down

Wanted to Borrow (and/or possibly Buy, if selling & appropriate) - ~150/200 watt Heater until Friday? Empty Re: Wanted to Borrow (and/or possibly Buy, if selling & appropriate) - ~150/200 watt Heater until Friday?

Post  twocat Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:59 am

Aqueon heaters have a lifetime warrantee

twocat

Back to top Go down

Post  Katnapper Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:00 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mark! But will it freeze, or will someone steal it? Would your front porch be better? I can come right now, but the streets are a sheet of ice in places in town. They called off school today. Can I pick it up later this afternoon? I just don't want it sitting out by your mailbox all day.
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

Post  Katnapper Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:04 am

Unfortunately this one wasn't an Aqueon. It was a Penn Plax Cascade heater I got from Brad (he had an extra) when I set up the 55.
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

Post  Katnapper Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:06 am

Oh, I just happened to think.... your mailbox probably IS on your porch, right?  And not by the curb? At first I was assuming it was by the street like mine.
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down