Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeping fish and Dropsy?

2 posters

Go down

Keeping fish and Dropsy? Empty Keeping fish and Dropsy?

Post  jikin junkie Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:36 pm

I was feeding my fish late last night and noticed in my precious Jikin goldfish tank that one fish had a slight protruding eye and several others were bloated looking but no raised scales. After my initial horror, I quickly did an 80% water change, added a heater, an extra air stone, removed carbon from filter and treated with Jungle anti bacterial. I checked on the fish today after work and they are swimming around fine, begging for food, but still look bloated. In the past I have found dropsy to always be fatal. I've also been led to believe it is caused by a water quality issue. BUT this is THE tank that gets two 50-80% water changes a week or more. And these are the fish that get blanched spinach, frozen foods, and expensive hikari foods. I guess I just don't understand how our roommate can keep two goldfish in a 20 gallon, never do a water change, and the darn things live for years in filth. I pampered my fish since from the egg and a year and half later they get dropsy No
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Keeping fish and Dropsy? Empty Re: Keeping fish and Dropsy?

Post  Oldman Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:26 pm

Dropsy is simply a description of a symptom. It is not a true disease diagnosis. Any of a large number of things will give you the swollen bellies that are called dropsy. It turns out that dropsy treatment is very variable as far as success. If you happen to use a treatment that matches your actual disease organism, treatments will be quite successful. On the other hand, if you don't happen to match the correct treatment, you will have a failure. Depending on where you look, various treatments will be listed as treatments for dropsy, but those are simply the ones that happened to work for the particular disease mechanism involved. In the real world, you need to actually diagnose the cause of disease in your tank. Dropsy can be viewed as the fish equivalent as pneumonia that way, where almost any disease may actually be involved. If you do diagnose that problem correctly, many of us may be able to help you deal with the disease organism.

Oldman

Back to top Go down