Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Info on eco Complete

3 posters

Go down

Info on eco Complete Empty Info on eco Complete

Post  Gunfighter_357 Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:51 pm

Just wanted some info on eco Complete.

I currently have a 150 gal. Freshwater set up. Undergravel filter w/ 3 cannister filters.
What I want to know is this.
Does Eco dissolve into mud or something like that. Or is it some kind of like ground up clay / sandstone....?
To me in pictures that I have seen is that it appears to be like ground up lava rock.

The reason that I wanted to know is this: As we all know. Aquariums are like car stereo's and home entertainment centers. The set up gets in your blood and you always want to make it bigger and better.

Im wonderins. Could I mix this to my current stone (crushed granite) to try and incorporate some live plants in my aquarium.
Though fake plants are in there now and they sure have come along way since days of old as to looking real. We all know its not the same.

Jusdt curious if it dissolves. Because if it does then I know that it will just dissolve and clog up my whole set up.
Thx
Brad
Gunfighter_357
Gunfighter_357

Back to top Go down

Info on eco Complete Empty eco-complete

Post  jikin junkie Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:26 pm

Eco complete doesn't dissolve and it's strangely light weight so it doesn't clump like sand will but I once mixed it with gravel and I didn't like the results. You don't need it to grow plants and it's not very economical to use for a tank larger than a 30 gallon unless you have very deep pockets. It's good for growing the ground cover type aquatic plants like marsilea (clover), dwarf hair grass, baby's tears, and micro sword. You'd be better off getting laterite (flourite) and mixing it into your gravel, or better yet leaving a fine layer of it on the bottom. It will release what the plants need in the right amount and works great for heavy feeding plants like amazon swords, crypts, vallisneria. I cautiously suggest a thin layer of potting soil (without the vermiculite). I've had great results with that but you have to be careful not to disturb the bottom with digging fish or too much gravel vacuuming and an under gravel filter is a no no.
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Info on eco Complete Empty With Undergravel

Post  Gunfighter_357 Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:57 pm

Because I can not give it all then attention that an aquarium needs. Would that work with an undergravel filter system ?
Is there a good "Joe the plumber" book on planted aquariums ?

Gunfighter_357
Gunfighter_357

Back to top Go down

Info on eco Complete Empty plants

Post  jikin junkie Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:31 pm

It's not advisable to use an undergravel filter with most plants for the simple fact that the roots will clog up and trap too much debris but you can use plants that do not root into the gravel. Anubias and java fern both can be tied to wood and rock with cotton thread and will eventually attach, their roots like to be exposed in the water and not buried in the gravel, the same for bolbitis fern. There are many varieties of anubias, and several of java fern. The nice thing is that they thrive in low light situations and do not require fertilizers. There are plenty of floating plants also such as water sprite, amazon frogbit, azolla, water lettuce, and the ever annoying duckweed. Very Happy
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Info on eco Complete Empty Re: Info on eco Complete

Post  AlexW. Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:30 am

If you are looking for a cheap alternative to a clay based plant substratw suppliment you should try pond plant soul. I picked up a bag at Lowers for $6. Its been in my tank for years with no problems.
AlexW.
AlexW.

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexW. Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:32 am

Pond plant soil not soul.
AlexW.
AlexW.

Back to top Go down

Info on eco Complete Empty plant soil

Post  jikin junkie Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:42 pm

Alex, is that at lowe's?
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexW. Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Yes I found it at lowe's. It was a while back. I think I found it in the spring when they start pouring the plant stuff out. It was inside, not outside.
AlexW.
AlexW.

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexW. Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Sometimes I hate my phone
AlexW.
AlexW.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content